14 September 2008

fresh night air

I know. Fresh, cool night air is not supposed to be happening in Texas yet. It's only September, but we sort of got a cool front last night, and it has been lovely all day. Steve and I went for our first walk in months tonight! It felt so good! We took George around the pond. Since the moon was full I was looking at the sky the whole time, and the clouds were funny and cotton-y and clumpy, in a wide group that moved slowly towards the moon. Those clouds reminded me of nets, some sort of cotton-ish nets that probably don't even exist, but they could. Anyway, I was reminded of nets for some reason, and then I thought,

"Nets of silver and gold have we!" cried Winkin, Blinkin and Nod.

Daddy used to read us that poem all the time. I am sure most of my siblings can quote it almost by heart also. I tried tonight and remembered most of it, and Steve humored me and listened as we walked under the moon. So I just felt like posting it. Here:

Winkin, Blinkin and Nod

Winkin, Blinkin and Nod one night, sailed off in a wooden shoe.
Sailed on a river of crystal light, into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going, and what do you wish?" the old moon asked the three.
"We've come to fish for the herring fish that live in this beautiful sea!
Nets of silver and gold have we," said Winkin, Blinkin and Nod.

~~~

The old moon laughted and sang a song as they rocked in the wooden shoe,
And the wind that sped them all night long ruffled the waves of dew.
Now, the little stars were the herring fish that lived in that beautiful sea.
"Cast your nets wherever you wish! Never afeared are we!"
So cried the stars to the fishermen three, Winkin, Blinkin and Nod.

~~~~

All night long their nets they threw to the stars in the twinkling foam,
'Til down from the skies came the wooden shoe, bringing the fishermen home.
'Twas all so pretty a sail it seemed as if it could not be,
And some folks say 'twas a dream they'd dreamed of sailing that beautiful sea.
But I shall name you the fishermen three, Winkin, Blinkin and Nod.

~~~

Now Winkin and Blinkin are two little eyes, and Nod is a little head,
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies is a wee one's trundle bed.
So shut your eyes while Daddy sings of the wonderful sights that be,
And you shall see those beautiful things as you sail on the misty sea
Where the old moon rocked the fishermen three, Winkin, Blinkin and Nod.



I love it. I am not sure if some of the words are wrong or not, and I looked it up online, but couldn't find out who wrote it. I'm sure I just didn't look very hard, and I found it on a few websites and blogs, but some of the words that those people used were not as I remembered it, so I just wrote it the way I remembered it best, right or not. :)

2 comments:

Stacy Ann said...

Love it!! Thanks for sharing!

Susan Hartland Olmstead said...

yes, yes! that poem was in our homeschool curriculum. 2nd grade. your memory is much better than mine. i'm reading it over here so hat i can learn it. i love your blog bethanie - it is so whimsical.