21 September 2008

glory, pumpkins, Eeyore and love

Alright, so I have been trying and trying to post this weekend. I have had so many lovely thoughts, but every time I try to blog, I just end up leaving it as a draft. I have too many thoughts, especially about C. S. Lewis. So here's just a little piece of all the things I was trying to write.

Saturday morning was cool and nice, so I took my tea set (with tea and cream and sugar in it!) outside and had tea on a blanket under a grove of trees. I was finishing C. S. Lewis's The Weight of Glory. I love, love, love how stunning the end is, and how realistic and honest Lewis is, even while he is tying together such lofty, lovely, scary thoughts. I cannot say all that it made me think, and you'll have to read it yourself if you really want to know about it, but here is one quote from the essay that always brings me out of myself and back to reality:

"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilizations---these are mortal, and their life to ours is as the life of a gnat. It is immortals whom we joke with, work with, marry, snub, and exploit..."

On a different note, Steve and I have bought a huge pumpkin! It looks just like it came right out of a coloring book--it is such a perfect shape, and so orange, and has such a properly curving stem. It makes me so happy. I am going to make lots of pumpkin foods this fall. I have already been looking for recipes, and I found a soup, a pudding, and a stuffed pumpkin recipe that all sound very good and not too hard. :) I can't wait!

Today Steve went out to run some errands (he sometimes goes to Dillard's when they have a sale in the really tall men's dept.) Anyway, he came home with, among other things, seersucker shorts (this is too many parentheses, but I have to say, he loves seersucker, which I find quite funny) AND he also had a very non-Dillard's-looking bag. It was actually a bag from the Disney Store. He told me to open it, and inside was Eeyore! He got me an Eeyore stuffed animal for a surprise, and I thought it was just the sweetest thing ever. My very soft Eeyore is at the moment sitting on top of my very wonderful, great big pumpkin which, under the circumstances, looks even more coloring-book-ish.

What other random things have been on my mind? Well, we have again been very busy and I am thinking of taking a sort of break from "extracurricular" (I guess I mean extra-marriage, but that's not a word) activities in October, so that is something sort of nice. I am happy I got to have tea outside, but mostly I am so amazed and happy that I have married such a wonderful guy who buys me Eeyore stuffed animals and who, by his own admission, knows how much it means to me to have curly hair. Of course there are other more important reasons I love him, but wow. :)

3 comments:

Stacy Ann said...

Thats awesome!!! Now I want to go get a Tigger for Libby. He was always my favorite. :) Wanna take a guess? ;) Oh and Rebecca had Rabbit and Nathan had Eeyore and I think that Steph had Piglet but I don't remember. Aunt Julie gave us Christmas ornaments of those characters for Christmas one year. Love you! We need to talk this week!! :)

Stacy Ann said...

Hopefully you'll make one exception in the middle of the month. ;)

Bethanie said...

Oh, that. Of COURSE!! :)