12 October 2010

After practicing...

I am left tired and hungry but amazed by the dizzying intellect that is Bach.


As a side note, I was in church while visiting my husband's sister and we sang one of my favorite hymns, O Sacred Head Now Wounded. Well, actually, we didn't sing the words I knew, (which I absolutely love) but the music was the same, a melody from a 1600s love song, later harmonized by Bach. Hearing it played on the organ made me almost imagine that I was in the Thomaskirche in Leipzig, hearing Bach play it.

Anyway, back to the present, there's nothing like a 5-voice fugue to make you stand back in wonder.

Bach's stunning mind made fugues. And God made J.S. Bach.

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

I'm reading a book called Bach's Cycle, Mozart's Arrow and listening to Bach's St. Matthew Passion. You'd enjoy all of this.