10 August 2010

a musing

In the last decade, I have become conscious of the fact that people who lack imagination have an extra capacity for hurting my feelings.

I do not have words to fully explain this. If you have an imagination, you probably understand perfectly already. If you don't, I can't help you.

It must sound snobby, but I feel so sad for people who don't have one. It is not an I'm-better-than-you kind of feeling; it's an I'm-so-truly-sorry-you-have-to-live-that-way feeling. I want to reach out to people whose imaginations are dead, but their misunderstanding responses hurt me almost as much as thinking what their lives must be like.

God must have a perfect imagination. Even the most brilliant human imagination would be nothing compared with His. Perhaps that's why He never hurts me in that odd way. I know we cannot all be the same, but I think that, when we were created in God's image, we must have been meant to have some of His amazing, imaginative creativity. No doubt, many still have a tiny touch of what that must have been like. When Christ's kingdom comes on earth, and we are whole, like Him, as we were meant to be, maybe we will all have good imaginations again.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Please share some of your imagination with me...oh and I die laughing every time I see the lilies on your page...getting ready to pounce...can't wait for your birthday!!!

Aubrey said...

I think I have an imagination because as a child, when I misbehaved, my mom would set a stool in the middle of the kitchen and I would have to sit on it and "think." Thanks, mom!