04 August 2010

Memory of the Day ~ my swing

There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus. For the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus has set you free from the law of sin and death.

These words remind me of my dad's voice, and my old swing he made for me for my 7th birthday. My mother painted my name on it, in curly yellow letters, with flowers all around them. Daddy would swing me and quote Romans 8, bit by bit, having me say it after him, until I had it memorized.

Swinging and learning that scripture from my dad is one of my most engrained memories from childhood. The swing was attached, next to Kristin's blue-lettered one, with long yellow ropes to a branch high on of one of the huge oak trees in our front yard. That branch has long since been chopped off and probably burnt in our fireplace. The swing wore out completely, and what remains of it might still be in the garage. But I remember the first half of Romans 8 as well as any line from Disney's Robin Hood or That Darn Cat, or any other of the childhood movies we obsessed over with our friends the Shenks.

Thank you, Daddy. :)

2 comments:

Amy Elinor said...

Your dad is so awesome. What a lovely memory!

Bethanie said...

thanks, amy. :) Yeah, he is.