22 July 2010

I want candy

It occurred to me today that an adult is only a child who knows how to control itself.

Of course, I know. Of course. I've just never defined it that way for myself. But it's true. Adults (and I guess I'm speaking for myself here) are just as whiny, it's just they don't whine out loud (most of the time). We all just walk around controling our inner child, I suppose. It's just a funny way of thinking of it that struck me today. And I don't know about anyone else, but I have conversations inside my head a lot of times that go:

"I want that."
"No."
"YES."
"Maybe tomorrow, or after you've accomplished something."
"But I just want it now."
"No."
"pleeeeeease?"
"No! Just walk away."
"Okay."

And then I finally agree with myself and walk away and find something else to be happy about, but isn't that weird?

I wonder if it happens to anyone else. It happened to me in Whole Foods today, by the soap, by the cheese, and then again by this display they call Candy Island. I felt like I was firmly monitoring a child, and then I realized it was just me.

1 comment:

Stacy Ann said...

MMMmmmm, I want gummi worms. And a nap.