24 January 2009

The Ettiquette of English Puddings

That is the title of a small pink-striped recipe book I got for Christmas. Puddings (the British kind, which is more like a cake, if you've never seen one) are one of my fascinations. They are cute, usually small, homey, old-fashioned desserts. I guess British foods are known for being bland, and puddings don't seem an exception, at least the ones I've made, but the wine and brandy sauces might help that. Puddings are good though. Just simple and quite nice with tea, especially on cold, cloudy days.

Anyway, this morning when I got up, it was sufficiently cloudy and more than cold enough outside, so I picked out a recipe from my pink pudding book. It was called "Railway Pudding" and I chose it because the recipe went like this:

Mix well one tea cupful of flour, one tea cupful of sugar, half tea cupful of milk, one ounce butter, one egg and one teaspoonful of baking powder and put into a buttered tin, bake twenty minutes in quick oven, (which I guessed meant hot, after it baked 25 minutes at 350 and was still very mushy and doughy) cut in half, spread with jam, sprinkle sugar over.

That was it. I liked how it left me to figure out how big a teacup to use, what temperature to bake it at, and what kind of jam to use and all that. I used one of my actual tea cups to measure things, like the Fauna on Sleeping Beauty, (all I could find was spanish one :) only that's really what the recipe called for! After it baked, I turned it out onto a dinner plate and cut it so that it looked like a layer cake and put strawberry jam in the middle. It looked so cute and plummy and made me so happy. And the best thing was, when Steve woke up, and I showed it to him, he asked "Is it a well-behaved pudding?"

It is. I like it. If I ever learn to post pictures, I'll put one up.

No comments: