15 August 2008

Gone With the Wind

"There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South. Here in this pretty world, Gallantry took its last bow. Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and of Slave. Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered, a Civilization gone with the wind..."



I am watching Gone With the Wind this evening, having been inspired to watch something by a huge pile of clean laundry that I have avoided folding for three days! I am watching it on the old vhs tape set that Susanna and Kathleen got me for Christmas a long time ago. I love remembering that. It's a lovely set, in a case with a big picture on the cover, you know, the Gone With the Wind picture. I like it. And it has a paper inside with some trivia about the book and the film. Did you know Margaret Mitchell tried a few different names for Scarlett including Pansy, Angel, Robin and Storm. I don't think the book would be the same at all if her name were something else!

I have not seen the movie in forever, and it has gotten me thinking and wanting to read the book again. I think I'll start it tonight. Steve and I are having so many peaceful, non-busy evenings these days. I think we have had more peaceful evenings this August than in our whole first year of marriage! (that wasn't his fault, believe me!)

Anyway, I have to say this: my very favorite thing about watching Gone With the Wind is all the shots with the trees silhouetted against the sky. That is my favorite time of day, when the trees are dark and the sky is still pale.


Trees in general are some of the most touching things in the world, I think. I better go. I could go on about trees forever, and the Kince is lying around on all the clean clothes.

3 comments:

Stacy Ann said...

I haven't watched that movie in years!! I'll have to get it from the library or something.

Stacy Ann said...

Go check out my blog. :)

Unknown said...

I keep thinking about Gone with the Wind because I'm reading Confederates in the Attic and remember we were going to watch it when you were living with Sarah? In your tiny little dorm room at SMU?