09 September 2009

Day by Day

When sad, awful things happen to people, it's hard to understand why. It's hard for me to just get a grip. This hymn makes me feel better sometimes. I pray it's words for the people who are going through sad things, that they will have such peace and trust. I pray that I would be able to say and mean these words when my time comes to go through something like that.

Day by day and with each passing moment,
Strength I find to meet my trials here;
Trusting in the Father's wise bestowment,
I've no cause for worry or for fear.
He whose heart is kind beyond all measure
Gives unto each day as He deems best--
Lovingly, its part of pain and pleasure,
Mingling toil with peace and rest.

Every day, the Lord Himself is near me
With a special blessing for each hour;
All my cares He fain would bear and cheer me,
He whose name is Counselor and Power.
The protection of His child and treasure
Is a charge that on Himself He laid;
"As your days, your strength shall be in measure,"
This the pledge to me He made.

Help me then in every tribulation
So to trust Thy promises, O Lord,
That I lose not faith's sweet consolation
Offered me within Thy holy Word.
Help me, Lord, when toil and trouble meeting,
E're to take, as from a father's hand,
One by one, the days, the moments fleeting,
Till I reach the promised land.

~by Caroline Sandell Berg, 1865

2 comments:

robert said...

Thanks for posting Lina Sandell's beautiful hymn. And your right, it makes a great prayer!

Your blog caught my eye this morning because of a bit of trivia that only a hymnologist would know: Today is the 75th anniversary of the death of Andrew Skoog, who gave us the English translation of the hymn. (And now you know!)

Bethanie said...

Thank you! I did not know about Andrew Skoog, or that the hymn was not originally written in English--that is so interesting. It makes me want to find out more... My dad always used to read us stories of specific hymns and how/why they were written, but this hymn never came up. I will have to find out more.